Everything you need to know about getting a Licensing Agreement over Goodlawyer.
- What is a Licensing Agreement?
- Pricing and Scope
- What is the Process?
- Why does my business need these documents?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Book your Licensing Agreement
What is a Licensing Agreement?
Licensing Agreements allow a person or business to monetize their intellectual property (IP), like a trademark, copyright or patent. A Licensing Agreement allows the owner of the IP (known as the “licensor”) to sell or lease their usage rights to others (known as the “licensees”). These Agreements are also used to provide exclusivity rights to the licensee, such as exclusive use of the IP over a given location or time frame.
Licensing Agreements are commonly used for assets that use a licensed logo, like branded merchandise or franchises. They are also frequently used for software, where the licensor sells rights to use their software product, like when a company pays a license to use Microsoft Word. The primary purpose of these Agreements is to protect the interests of the licensor by outlining the terms of compensation, ensuring the licensee does not misuse the IP, and clearly stating the consequences for any breach of the Licensing Agreement.
Pricing and Scope
Starting at $780 + Tax
- Project kick-off call to gather information, advise you, and answer questions
- One customized Licensing Agreement
- One round of minor revisions if necessary
- More than one version of the Licensing Agreement
- Additional work or questions following the delivery of the Licensing Agreement
- Major revisions or rewriting of the Licensing Agreement throughout or after the project
Your lawyer may recommend different or additional services, including a custom quote. Your approval for any additional work is always required and you will never be billed for services you didn't agree to.
What is the process?
- Book a call. Pick a time to discuss your Licensing Agreement with a Good Lawyer.
- Design your Agreement. Help your lawyer understand your situation and how you want to use the Agreement. Your lawyer will use this info to draft your customized Licensing Agreement.
- Review your Agreement. You’ll have a chance to review your newly drafted contract and request any minor revisions if necessary.
- Receive your Agreement. Receive the final, digital copy of the Licensing Agreement ready to sign and use.
Why get a Licensing Agreement?
Protect your brand.
A well-defined Licensing Agreement will ensure your intellectual property isn’t stolen or devalued by incorrect or inappropriate use.
Tailored for you.
Make an agreement that works perfectly for your situation, with the right provisions and protections for your business goals and the intellectual property you worked so hard on.
Maximize your IP’s value.
Develop a flexible financial arrangement that is as simple or complicated as your situation requires. Include upfront fees, royalties, minimums, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Goodlawyer Service Fee work?
Because we believe in transparent pricing, we make our best effort to be upfront about additional fees and how they are calculated.
Will I be able to communicate with my lawyer after the kickoff call?
Yes, absolutely. You can use the Goodlawyer platform to send messages and files. If substantially more communication is needed, your lawyer may request another call.
What if I need more than one Licensing Agreement?
This service will only cover the creation of one Licensing Agreement. If additional Licensing Agreements are needed, you can talk to your Good Lawyer. Sometimes it is more efficient to produce multiple agreements and a discount is possible, but that is situational and Goodlawyer can’t guarantee any kind of bulk discount.
What file format will the Licensing Agreement be in?
Licensing Agreements are generally delivered as a PDF so that they can be easily shared, printed, and signed. They can also be delivered as a Word document. If that’s something you’re interested in, make sure you mention it to your lawyer.
Why not use a free template found on the internet?
Licensing Agreements are always designed to fit a specific situation. This makes it very difficult to develop a template and templates for Licensing Agreements should be treated with caution. If you’re considering using an agreement that you found online and aren’t sure if it will hold up, consider booking a Contract Review.
Do I need a lawyer in my province?
No. Intellectual property law is established federally and applies the same all over the country.
"Easy access to professional advice. Never would have been able to afford and get an actual lawyer without a service like this. Put my mind at ease without ever needing to leave my couch!"
Braden, January 2021 — 5-Star Google Review
Are you ready to monetize your assets?
Your lawyer will assess your situation and make sure this is the correct service for your needs.
Still have some questions?