Everything you need to know about getting an Opinion Letter over Goodlawyer.
- What is an Opinion Letter?
- Pricing and Scope
- What is the Process?
- Why does my business need these documents?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Book your Opinion Letter
What is an Opinion Letter?
Opinion Letters, also known as Legal Opinions, are written documents that summarize a lawyer’s analysis of a certain situation, and they are extremely common in business. They start by stating the facts that were given to the lawyer then go on to analyze the situation according to the laws that are relevant. The final section of an Opinion Letter provides an answer to the original question that is impossible to misinterpret. Generally, this is a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’ and aligns with the view of the Courts.
Opinion Letters are most often used to check the lawfulness of an action that is being considered, to satisfy due diligence and contractual obligations during an investment, merger, or acquisition, or to get an official record of an answer to a specific legal question.
Pricing and scope
$480 + Tax
- $400 Legal fee
- $80 Service fee
- This price is based on a basic Opinion Letter and is subject to additional fees if your matter is more complex. Your lawyer will always clarify any additional costs for your approval
- Project kick-off call to gather information, advise you, and answer questions
- One customized Opinion Letter
- One round of minor revisions if necessary
- More than one Opinion Letter
- Additional work or questions following the delivery of the Opinion Letter
- Major revisions or rewriting of the Opinion Letter throughout, or after the project
Your lawyer may recommend additional services on or after your call. Your approval for any additional work is always required and you will never be billed for services you didn't agree to.
What is the process?
- Book a call. Pick a time to discuss your Opinion Letter with a Good Lawyer.
- Design your Letter. Help your lawyer understand the situation and the goals of your letter. Your lawyer will determine what wording you need in your Opinion Letter and draft something tailored to your needs.
- Receive your Letter. You will receive a digital copy of the Opinion Letter, ready to be printed, distributed, or filed.
Why book an Opinion Letter?
Proceed with confidence.
A solid Opinion Letter will enable you to make a clear and informed decision for your business. You’ll have absolute certainty and a record of where you stand with the law before moving forward.
Reassure your stakeholders.
An Opinion Letter can help if your business partners, investors, or other stakeholders aren’t sure that a specific contract or business action will be legal in your jurisdiction.
Get a great answer.
Some questions are complicated and require detailed answers. Opinion Letters allow a lawyer to provide the best possible answer to those questions in a permanent, detailed record that can be shared and referred to at any time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this the same as getting an email from a lawyer?
No, an Opinion Letter is a significantly more detailed and official document. It contains not just an answer to a legal question, but also a detailed analysis of the situation from the lawyer’s point of view. This is critical since Opinion Letters are often shared with many different stakeholders, all of which might have a slightly different understanding of the situation and the relevant legal implications.
How long do Opinion Letters take to draft?
Typically, from the time of your kick-off call you can expect to have your Opinion Letter within 2 weeks. This is because Opinion Letters often require significant legal research and must be drafted with extreme care and surety.
What if I need more than one Opinion Letter?
This service will only cover the creation of one Opinion Letter. If additional Opinion Letters are needed, you can talk to your Lawyer about drafting multiple Letters. Sometimes it is more efficient to produce multiple letters and a discount is possible, but that is situational and Goodlawyer can’t guarantee any kind of bulk discount.
What file format will the Opinion Letter be in?
Opinion Letters are generally delivered as a locked PDF so that they can be easily shared, printed, and signed. They are never delivered in an editable format since the lawyer’s original words could be changed, rendering the Letter useless to everyone involved.
Do I need a lawyer in my province?
Generally, no, you don’t need a local lawyer to draft an Opinion Letter. If you book an out-of-province lawyer that determines you need someone with local expertise, Goodlawyer can set you up with a local lawyer ready to help.
"Being able to access legal guidance with ease and clarity - an experience that can be intimidating at times - is tremendously helpful when you are a new entrepreneur. Thank you to the team at Goodlawyer for making this possible."
Delna, July 2021 — 5-Star Google Review
Get an expert legal opinion in writing.
Your lawyer will assess your situation and make sure this is the correct service for your needs.
Still have some questions?